Medical abortion by phone (Teleabortion)
What is teleabortion?
Home abortion, also known as teleabortion or a medical abortion by phone, provides a safe and private way to terminate an early pregnancy with medication without visiting one of our clinics or finding a local prescriber.
At-home abortions do not require you to visit one of our clinics; rather, we provide you with all you need to have your ultrasound performed.
- You then have a consultation over the phone with one of the doctors who specialise in medical abortion treatment
- You are then sent the abortion medications by courier, which take 1-3 days to arrive
- You can proceed in the privacy and comfort of your own home with free access to our 24/7 nurse aftercare service
Our home abortion service is a convenient, affordable and discrete way of accessing abortion services, with a specialist provider leading the standard of medical abortion care in Australia. We have established strict protocols and standards for medical abortion treatment and are proud of having led the way in medical abortion care in Australia.
It can be hard to know how to support someone who has had an abortion, so we put together a guide for anyone who wants to learn more about providing timely and empathetic emotional support.
For more information about our home abortion service or to make an appointment, call 1300 003 707 or inquire online.
Process for medical abortion by phone
You may be eligible for medical abortion by phone if you:
- Are over 16 years of age
- Live in the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, the Northern Territory, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria or Western Australia. (As soon as it is legal to do so, South Australians will be able to use this service)
- If you live in Western Australia, you will require a referral from your GP
- Live within 2 hours of 24/7 emergency medical care such as a hospital emergency department
- Can understand and speak English (interpreter unavailable for this service)
- Have access to the internet
- Are no more than 8 weeks pregnant (56 days) at the time of your consult by phone with the doctor
- You have an ultrasound using the forms we send you.
- Once your ultrasound result is confirmed, you will speak with one of our nurses, who will explain the home abortion by phone process, answer any questions you may have and schedule a phone consultation with our doctor.
- During the phone call, the doctor will discuss your decision, ensure you understand the medical abortion process, answer any further questions you may have, gain your consent and ensure that you are aware of the follow-up process.
- Your MSI Australia patient pack is delivered to your preferred address after the phone consultation within 1-3 business days. The pack includes:
- Your medication, pain medication and nausea medication, if required
- Your special urine pregnancy test you will use between 14-21 days after your consultation to check the treatment has been successful
- A discharge letter just in case emergency care is required.
If you have any concerns before, during, or after the medical abortion, you can speak to one of our nurses via our 24-hour aftercare service on 1300 003 707.
Follow up 2-3 weeks after your appointment is essential to make sure the abortion was effective.
You will be given a special urine pregnancy test to use at home no earlier than 14 days after your treatment. You will also complete a self-assessment to ensure that the abortion has been successful and that there are no complications. You will be given an instruction sheet to help with this and information about when to contact us.
You will have access to our free 24-hour aftercare service at any time.
If you need further assessment, we may refer you for blood tests or an ultrasound, make an appointment for you at one of our clinics, if convenient, or ask you to see your local health practitioner.
Read more about medical abortion to better understand your options.
Home abortion prices
Home abortion costs are based on the minimum cost for patients holding a valid Medicare card. Further discounts apply for Healthcare Cardholders in many cases. Home abortion price does not include medication as this can vary depending on whether or not you have a Healthcare Card. Ask us for more information about home abortion costs and pricing when you make your booking.
- Medical abortion by phone from $432.70 (includes the cost of medication and postage)
- Medical abortion in a clinic from $550 (includes the cost of blood tests, ultrasounds, follow up appointments and treatments)
Medical abortion by phone: Eligible locations
- New South Wales
- Western Australia
- Northern Territory